Welcome to Team Ireland’s Blog! This is our very first post as a team and a mission trip. It is amazing and humbling that we were chosen as ORU’s very first team to Ireland. We are all excited to bring the love of God to Ireland, but before we take our first steps onto that plane perhaps you, our friends and family, would like to know a bit more about everyone on the team. Everyone on the team was asked the same five questions below:
1. What is your major and what do you want to do with it?
2. What is your home town and state?
3. How has God helped you?
4. What is your favorite Bible verse?
5. Why did you choose the Ireland mission trip?
Stephanie Ottman (Team Leader)
- I am majoring in Ministry and Leadership with a concentration in Church Administration. I was recently accepted into the fast track program at ORU and will start working toward my Masters of Divinity this fall. I know that I am called to full time ministry, and I want to empower, encourage, and equip other believers to walk out God's plans for their life.
- I am from Rockford Illinois.
- I could seriously write a novel about how God has helped me. Ever since an early age, I have sensed the call of God upon my life, and He truly led me every step of the way. In my life I have come to know God as my Father, Healer, Protector, Provider, Friend, Creator, Savior, Defender, Way Maker, and Lord of my life.
- How can I pick just one!?! Jeremiah 29:11-13 has always been one of my favorites; "For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me, and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart."
- I was not planning to apply for missions leadership this year, however, God had other plans. After going on my first missions trip this past summer, the Lord gave me a new heart for the nations. It wasn’t until I arrived back at school in the fall that I felt the Lord leading me to apply for leadership. When I began this journey, I had to place all of my trust and dependence on the Lord and know that His plans are greater than my own, and know that He had already picked out the location for me. I was so excited to find out that I would be going to Ireland and immediately felt peace and excitement about ministering the love of the Father there. I am so excited to serve the team and our contacts as we embark on the first ever ORU Missions trip to Ireland!
Griffith Poindexter (Assistant Team Leader) \
- My major is Environmental Sustainability and Business Administration. I would like to provide individuals with economical and socially sensitive systems that can help a habitat.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- God has helped me in many ways. School, soccer, and everyday living is what he has continually helped me with in the aspects of my life. He has truly blessed me with opportunities to use my athletic ability to reach out to those who are hurting.
- Philippians 4:6-8
- I was placed on Ireland for the sole purpose of serving these wonderful individuals. In not way am I worthy of leading this team, but I am humbled to be able to serve them any way that I can.
- I am a Writing major with a concentration in Literature. I want to use this major to become a book editor and also to write my own short stories and novels.
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
- Without God’s help I would have never had this opportunity to go on a mission trip to Ireland. Before the beginning of the fall semester in 2012 I had financial difficulty and God helped me to receive the aid I needed to be enrolled in school. Without His help, I wouldn’t even be writing this blog.
- “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!” -John 14:12-14
- I chose the Ireland Missions trip because I love the culture of the country and wish to meet and speak with the people that live there on that emerald Isle. Hopefully, I am able to plant the seeds of Christ in the people there, making them seek Him once more.
- My major is marketing. God still hasn't told me what I He wants me to use it for exactly.
- Fraser, Michigan.
- God has taught me how to live a life worth living.
- Matthew 11:28-30
- I chose Ireland because I want to be able to have a personal conversation with someone I am witnessing to, so it helps to speak the same language as that person. I also thought it would be awesome to go to Ireland!
- Nursing, I want to work in Pediatric oncology and eventually get my Masters.
- Grew up in Madison, WI, but now I live in Murphy, TX.
- God helped me beat cancer and He helped me get here!
- Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have made for you declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not for failure, to give you a future and a hope"
- I chose Ireland because it is my first mission trip and I felt a calling there. I love working with kids and am looking forward to the mission work and the natural beauty that Ireland has to offer
- My major is psychology and I'd love to get my counseling masters and work with troubled or abused youth.
- My hometown is Westfield, MA
- God has helped me a great deal in my life. He has provided the way for my family to move to America from Ukraine and live in a country with freedom and opportunity
- Some of My favorite bible verses are Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in You." And also 1 Timothy 4:12 "Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity."
- Ireland has been a dream of mine for the past couple of years now. I love the beauty and mystery of the culture and hope to one day be a missionary in Eastern Europe.
- I’m a Government/Pre-Law. I want to go to Law school right after college. After, I want to become an Immigration Lawyer.
- I was born in California but shortly after my family moved to Verdigris, Oklahoma and that’s where I was raised.
- God has helped me in so many ways. But more recently, God has helped me with a lot of things that have to do with school. He blessed me with a soccer scholarship for college and has provided for me for this missions trip.
- Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”
- This is my first mission trip and i felt that God wanted me to do one. The day that I wanted to go get more information on missions a good friend and teammate and also our ATL came up to me and told me there was an open spot for Team Ireland. I prayed and I felt it upon my heart that it was meant for me to do the mission in Ireland!
- I am an Evangelism & Outreach major, with a music minor; I want to use music to reach people outside of the church; that may not be actively looking for God, but that through the songs I write, get a glimpse of the life and the hope that can only come through Jesus.
- I was born and raised in Elizabethtown, KY
- It was God's idea for me to come to ORU. I had never thought I would do anything more than live in KY and serve at my local church; but God had other plans, and I'm so glad I let him stretch my dreams of how he could use me and where he could take me. I've grown so much during my time at ORU, and had so many wonderful opportunities; I am eager to see what else He has in store for me!
- Right now it's 2 Cor. 9:8 -"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
- I applied for the Ireland trip, one, because I couldn't sit back this summer and not go help people; secondly, because it has always been a dream of mine to travel to Ireland. I'm so grateful for the chance to go there, getting to do what I love to do!
- I am a missions major. I will attend grad school for missions as well, I hope to do missions full time although I am not sure where, unless the Lord leads otherwise. I also plan to stay involved in short-term mission trips while I complete my degrees.
- I am from Haysville, Kansas.
- God has taken care of me every step of my life. He has provided for all of my needs, college and otherwise. This year He provided over $9,000 in about 2 days so that I could finish my school at ORU this year. He taught me to trust Him and know that He is with me through some of the hardest and darkest circumstances. He provides the strength and grace to face the big things in life as well as the day-to-day. He is there for me every time I need Him, even when others couldn’t be. He is my strength and joy, and I can’t make it through a day without Him.
- “We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” - Romans 5:3b-5
- I chose Ireland, because I felt like it was somewhere God wanted me to apply. I had to put three options and I put the three that I felt a pull towards, and told the Lord I trust Him to put me on the trip where He wants me. I have been interested in Ireland and Irish culture for many years. I am excited to see what He has to teach me on this trip.
- I am a double major in Psychology and Government with a concentration in Pre-law. After I graduate I would like to attend graduate school or law school. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do.
- I'm from Louisville, KY.
- God has helped me in so many ways. I can look back on my life and see where God has had His Hand on my life.
- 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
- I always wanted to go on a missions trip. Ireland is my first. I was placed on Albania originally but then our trip got cancelled so then I was placed on Team Ireland! As soon as I saw the sheet I knew Ireland was where I wanted to go
Please continue to check back for periodic updates throughout the next several weeks leading up to our departure. Your prayers and continued encouragement is greatly appreciated! If you would like to contact team Ireland, please feel free to send us an email at Ireland.email@example.com